Thursday, April 28, 2011

Who's the leader of the club that's made for you and me....

MICKEY MOUSE!!

As a women in children's media, I watch children's television through a very critical lens. Don't get me wrong, I don't think every child's tv show has to be teaching our children root memorization. But what the shows should be doing is providing an opportunity for a learning moment. This moment can be in social problems, typical education, creativity, music, etc.

When I put on my mommy hat, I have a love for the things that make my son smile (as long as those things don't consist of fire, electricity, biting, etc). So when I saw my sons excitement for the Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, I gave in and allowed him the opportunity to enjoy the music and visuals. I do have to admit that when I was a child I was somewhat of a Mickey fan. Ok, ok, I lie I was a HUGE Mickey fan. Let me just put it into perspective, the first word I could spell (even before my name) was Mickey Mouse. So, to be honest, I was happy that my son was enjoying the same character I did 25 years ago.

But there is something different about Mickey's Clubhouse. It's not the old school Mickey we are all use to. To keep up with the changing visuals in kids cartoons Mickey has somewhat undergone a face lift. As well as the rest of the characters. Don't get me wrong some things have stayed the same, Donald is still cranky and doesn't wear pants, Goofy is still goofy (but has aquired a love for stinky shoes), Daisy and Minnie love bows and high heels, and Pluto is still the only dog that can't talk.

But visually wow... 25 years sure can change things. And like Susan Lucci even the greatest mouse in the house gets a little nip and tuck.

My Sons Mickey


My Mickey

No comments:

Post a Comment